The book of Revelation, is the final book of the Bible. It is a vision given to the Apostle John, while he was imprisoned on the Isle of Patmos. An angel, who witnessed this vision with John, instructed him to write it down. There is an unveiling of future events that, will happen before Christ returns to earth, including a battle between Jesus and the Antichrist, known as the “Battle of Armageddon”. There is a belief that has become more prevalent in some churches today. That is that the prophecies in the book of Revelation, have already been fulfilled. This is not true. I would like to submit a list of prophecies, that have yet to be fulfilled.
1. Revelation 9:15-16 prophesies a war that will kill one-third part of men… In all of history, this has not yet happened. It must be fulfilled in the future.
2. Revelation 11:1-2 says that Jerusalem will be trodden down of the Gentiles for 42 months prior to the Second Coming…This didn’t happen, the Romans simply destroyed Jerusalem. There was no occupation.
3. Revelation 11:3-12 describes the ministry of two witnesses that will prophesy during the 1,260 days (3-1/2 years) of the great tribulation. They are given supernatural power by God similar to the power God gave to Elijah, and to Moses. Moses was given power to turn the river red, and call plagues down on Egypt. Elijah was given power to destroy false prophets by calling fire down from heaven to consume them, and to shut up the heavens so that it would not rain. They will then be killed, their bodies will be defiled, and they will lay in the street for and three and one-half days. Then they will rise from the dead and ascend into heaven. Nothing like this has happened yet.
4. Revelation 13 describes a time when every person on earth will be required to have a number in order to buy or sell, known as the Mark of the Beast. This mark will be represented by the numbers 666. This has never happened.
5. Revelation 13 prophesies the coming of the False Prophet who will pull down fire from heaven in the sight of men. He will be a world wide religious leader, who will deceive the world into following the Antichrist. He will be given the power to perform, deceiving miracles, which will further convince the world to follow the Anti-Christ. Then the Antichrist will falsely declare that he is God. This is known as the “Abomination of Desolation”. This has not happened yet.
6. Revelation 16:12 states that the Euphrates River will be dried up to make way for the kings of the east to invade Israel at the Battle of Armageddon. The Euphrates has not dried up.
7. Revelation 20:1-6 teaches that Satan will be bound for 1,000 years at the time of the first resurrection. Some falsely believe that the first resurrection occurred in 70 AD. However, the 1,000-year binding of Satan has obviously not yet occurred.
In verses 32-34, Jesus said, “Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, this generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.”
Jesus was saying that, when we see the fig tree putting forth its leaves, then we know that summer is near. Likewise, when we see the signs given in Matthew 24, then we will know that the generation that witnesses these things (such as the abomination of desolation) will not pass until all of the prophecy is fulfilled. We are walking in the last days friends. God is opening the scripture up to us now, because these prophecies are close to being fulfilled. God wants us to be aware, an not live in fear. He has given us his Word to guide us. He will also give us clear direction through His Holy Spirit.
References: The Holy Bible; and the article: Preterism: What is it? Is it Scriptural? by Irvin Baxter